Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Let Me Introduce Myself!

     Hello, my name is Melissa Young, and I teach preschool for Henry County Public Schools.  I have the best job in the world!  I have been teaching preschool for five years.  Prior to teaching preschool, I have taught first grade for eight years, and second grade for one year.  I graduated from Averett University with a degree in elementary education with a Spanish minor. During my studies at Averett University, I participated in a student exchange program.  During this experience, I had the pleasure of teaching (with supervision from a master teacher) at Long Lane Church of England Primary.  This was a wonderful two room school in a very rural location.  I worked with children for several weeks in one room.  Their ages ranged from four to seven.  In the second room, I worked with children from age 8 to 13 for several weeks.  Then, I earned my masters degree in curriculum and instruction from Radford University while teaching in Henry County.

     Some of my hobbies are reading, cooking, traveling, and crafts.  My favorite recipes are from Paula Dean and Giada De Laurentiis.  I love to read anything on history or inspirational books.  In the summer, I look forward to taking trips with my family, and my best friend, my sister, is always my traveling companion.  My inspiration for my latest hobby, making jewelry, came from my trip to Key West last summer.  I came upon a local artisan who was knitting necklaces out of silver wire and decided to buy the materials and teach myself.  I'm still improving, but I enjoy taking a straight piece of wire and creating anything I wish.
I look forward to getting to know you and your family this school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment